Today is
 
Ploughing using oxen. Subsistence farming is done manually, usually on small plots. While this may seem inefficient to westerners, it provides a form of employment and land ownership in a country where there are few alternatives.
Ploughing using oxen. Subsistence farming is done manually, usually on small plots. While this may seem inefficient to westerners, it provides a form of employment and land ownership in a country where there are few alternatives.
Rural rock breakers. Families can earn extra money by breaking rocks for road and house construction. Without proper equipment, injuries are inevitable.
Rural rock breakers. Families can earn extra money by breaking rocks for road and house construction. Without proper equipment, injuries are inevitable.
Tanzania was once world renowned for its sisal to make rope. With the invention of nylon, the industry crashed. There are still a few sisal plantation today, though.
Tanzania was once world renowned for its sisal to make rope. With the invention of nylon, the industry crashed. There are still a few sisal plantation today, though.
Preparing the sisal leaves for processing into fibres for use in ropes, twine, mats and carpets.
Preparing the sisal leaves for processing into fibres for use in ropes, twine, mats and carpets.
A rural road near Arusha, Tanzania. Although not easily traversed by bicycle or car, the road is an essential lifeline for farmers in rural Tanzania.
A rural road near Arusha, Tanzania. Although not easily traversed by bicycle or car, the road is an essential lifeline for farmers in rural Tanzania.
Villages spring up along roads in rural Tanzania.
Villages spring up along roads in rural Tanzania.
A village "duka" (kiosk or shop) in rural Tanzania. Despite being a poor nation, many people use mobile telephones as the infrastructure does not exist for land lines.
A village "duka" (kiosk or shop) in rural Tanzania. Despite being a poor nation, many people use mobile telephones as the infrastructure does not exist for land lines.
This newly-constructed highway allows farmers to transport their produce more efficiently to, hopefully, earn more money.
This newly-constructed highway allows farmers to transport their produce more efficiently to, hopefully, earn more money.
City Traffic in Arusha, Tanzania.
City Traffic in Arusha, Tanzania.
This fellow will spend his days transporting everything from soil, gravel and bricks to furniture, chickens and car parts – all by push cart, earning just a few dollars a day in the pollution of city streets.
This fellow will spend his days transporting everything from soil, gravel and bricks to furniture, chickens and car parts – all by push cart, earning just a few dollars a day in the pollution of city streets.
A Tanzanian "pop=shop" where people return their empties and purchase a new crate of soda pop.
A Tanzanian "pop=shop" where people return their empties and purchase a new crate of soda pop.
A combination of formal employment in a shop with informal employment our front at a shoe-repair man.
A combination of formal employment in a shop with informal employment our front at a shoe-repair man.
Life is lived in the shade. A mixture of formal and informal employment  with a duke (shop) in the background and sellers of maize, electronics and other household goods in the foreground.
Life is lived in the shade. A mixture of formal and informal employment with a duke (shop) in the background and sellers of maize, electronics and other household goods in the foreground.
One of the coastal industries on Zanzibar is the growing of seaweed. This woman is "planting" seaweed in the shallows during low tide.
One of the coastal industries on Zanzibar is the growing of seaweed. This woman is "planting" seaweed in the shallows during low tide.
The seaweed is harvested and dried then exported to Europe for use in toothpaste, cosmetics and paint.
The seaweed is harvested and dried then exported to Europe for use in toothpaste, cosmetics and paint.

Home  >  Places  > Tanzania  >  Everyday Life in Tanzania

Everyday Life in Tanzania

Tanzania is a developing country in East Africa. While education is helping to raise the standard of living, for most Tanzanians life is a daily struggle. About 60% are subsistence farmers. Of the remaining 40%, there is a growing professional class, but most are day labourers in cities, living in shanty town neighbourhoods. Informal employment is high which means, overall, tax revenues are low making it difficult for the government to provide social services like education and basic health care.